Basics of Obesity Medicine
Overview of Assessing Patients with Overweight or Obesity and Related Comorbidities
1 hr(s) CE
Goal: To improve medical student clinical skills in understanding the extent of the obesity epidemic and assessment of overweight and obesity, medical evaluation of overweight and obesity and associated medical conditions.
This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 1 hr(s)
Professional Practice Gaps
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Describe the extent of the obesity epidemic
- Assess patients for overweight and obesity using body mass measurements, in order to determine appropriate treatment.
- Interpret patient body mass assessments in terms of diagnosis, severity, and corresponding level of treatment.
- Focus a comprehensive medical evaluation and treatment of patients with high body mass based on an understanding of weight-related comorbidities.
- Counsel patients on health improvements that they can obtain through weight loss
- Determine which psychological disorders to consider when evaluating a patient for obesity
- Facilitate patient setting of a weight-loss goal to help treat their weight-related comorbidities
Modules in this Training Activity
Training Activity References
Audience and Accreditation
Audience: Healthcare providers, healthcare students
A letter of completion for 1 hours is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a grant from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (#2R44DK091144-01A1) and NIDDK (#4R44DK108608-02).
Reviews for this activity
— Preventive Medicine/Occupational
Excellent educational program