This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 0.5 hr(s)
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Assess patients for overweight and obesity using BMI and waist circumference.
- Interpret BMI and waist circumference in terms of body mass diagnosis and severity.
- Use body mass assessment to determine all the weight-related comorbidities for which a patient with excess body mass has increased risk
- Provide a comprehensive medical evaluation of patients with high body mass.
- Counsel patients who are overweight or obese on health improvements that they can obtain through weight loss.
- Use a patient-centered, motivational interviewing approach to establishing rapport with a knowledgeable patient who has an obesity diagnosis, focusing the patient interview to identify patient barriers to weight loss, evoking patient understanding of contribution of stress to eating patterns.
- Use interpretation of body mass assessments to select category of weight-loss treatment.
- Recommend lifestyle changes in order for patients to achieve weight loss.
Modules in this Training Activity
Audience and Accreditation
Audience: Healthcare providers, healthcare students
|AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™||0.5 hr(s)||11/5/19||11/4/22|
Accreditation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
AMA Credit Designation Statement: Clinical Tools, Inc. designates this enduring material for a maximum of 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
A letter of completion for 0.5 hours is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a grant from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (#2R44DK091144-01A1) and NIDDK (#4R44DK108608-02).