This activity is designed to change: Competence, Performance, Patient Outcome. 1 hr(s)
After completing this activity participants will be able to:
- Describe the extent of the obesity epidemic
- Assess patients for overweight and obesity using body mass measurements, in order to determine appropriate treatment.
- Interpret patient body mass assessments in terms of diagnosis, severity, and corresponding level of treatment.
- Focus a comprehensive medical evaluation and treatment of patients with high body mass based on an understanding of weight-related comorbidities.
- Counsel patients on health improvements that they can obtain through weight loss
- Determine which psychological disorders to consider when evaluating a patient for obesity
- Facilitate patient setting of a weight-loss goal to help treat their weight-related comorbidities
Modules in this Training Activity
Audience and Accreditation
Audience: Medical and Health Professional Students
A letter of completion for 1 hours is available for non-physicians.
A score of 70% on the post-test is required to complete the activity.
Initial development of this activity was supported by a grant from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (#2R44DK091144-01A1) and NIDDK (#4R44DK108608-02).